Accountability Measures at KS4 and KS5
The Department for Education announced that a new secondary school accountability system would be implemented from August 2016. It includes two new headline measures at the end of KS4: Attainment 8 and Progress 8.
Progress 8 aims to capture the progress a pupil makes from the end of primary school to the end of KS4. It is a type of value added measure, which means that pupils’ results are compared to the actual achievements of other pupils with the same prior attainment.
The new performance measures are designed to encourage schools to offer a broad and balanced curriculum with a focus on an academic core at key stage 4 and measuring performance across 8 qualifications.
The headline indicator of school performance determining the floor standard is Progress 8.
What is published in performance tables
The KS4 headline measures are:
- Progress across 8 qualifications
- Attainment across the same 8 qualifications
- Percentage of pupils achieving the threshold in English and mathematics (currently a C grade, grade 5 when new GCSEs in English and mathematics are first reported in performance tables in 2017)
- Percentage of pupils achieving the English Baccalaureate
- Student Destinations - (the percentage of students who continue in education or training, or move on to employment at the end of 16 to 19 study)
The five headline measures are:
- Progress: a value added progress measure for academic and applied general qualifications. These will be reported separately as a % of a grade below or above national achieved by pupils with similar prior attainment
- Attainment. This will be expressed as an average grade eg C+
- English and Maths progress measure (for those students who have not achieved at least a grade C at GCSE at the end of key stage 4)
The most significant change in 2016 is that at Key Stages 2, 4 and 5 progress of pupils will be compared against the progress of pupils with similar prior attainment in the actual year of reporting. This real time measurement will mean that school reported results collected in August 2016 will not be comparable to previous years. Progress 8 figures and the equivalent Level 3 value added score will not be available on results day and validated scores will not be available until January 2017.
In addition, changes to the reported measures means that trends from previous years cannot be established.
KS4 Accountability Measures
|9 - 5 in English and Maths||79%||
|9 - 4 in English and Maths||90%||93.6%||85%|
KS5 16-19 Accountability
|Progress VA - A Level||-0.10||-0.07||-0.15|
|Progress VA - Academic||-0.10||-0.07||-0.15|
|Progress VA - Applied General||NE||NE||+0.57|
|Progress VA - Technical||NE||NE||NE|
|Attainment (Average Grade)||C||C+||C+|
|Progress In English & Maths||SUPP||SUPP||SUPP|
Information regarding School Performance Tables can be accessed via the Department for Education’s website.